Supporting a different business model on the travel industry
Izi.TRAVEL needed to evolve and improve its platforms to fully deploy its business model and become the main market player in this service sector.
A team of Dutch innovators had the idea of connecting cities, museums and their stories with travellers who wanted to explore the world in a brand new, innovative way: via a global, open and free platform. Although this idea wasn't anything new, no-one had yet done it on such a large and ambitious scale.
Izi.TRAVEL already had a web platform, as well as audio guide apps. However, it needed to evolve and improve its platforms to fully deploy its business model and become the main market player in this service sector.
This required the redesign, maintenance and evolution of both the Web platform and the app and free audio-guide platforms. These tools are mainly focused on helping tourists to discover cities, museums and other cultural sites in any country in the world.
There were various important objectives to meet:
- Testing initial systems for validating & improving technical/functional quality.
- Develop new functionalities to improve the capacities of the different platforms, and enhance the concept of community of travelers.
- Optimise response times, user experience, and graphic design of applications. Increase the number of visits & apps downloads.
Our digital strategy team and UX consultants worked with izi.TRAVEL on flowcharts, UI wireframing and visual design to improve the user experience, working to increase the number of platform users, before generating and facilitating a loyal community around it.
All the software components developed and maintained: a complete web platform (Drupal) for contents publication and display and a contact point for travellers. Multi-language platform, with authenticated zone with multiple user roles. Scalable architecture, integrated with other systems. Mobile apps orientated to the use (online-offline) of the different available tourist guides.
A multi-disciplinary project team for the development: Product owner, Drupal architects, Frontend & Backend developers, UX consultants, graphic designers, systems technicians… Special attention to Quality within the project: 3 QA specialists dedicated to exhaustive testing, continuous integration, test cases automation, deliveries and validations scheduling.
- Active users increased (both those who use the guides and those who develop them).
- Better response speed & web positioning.
- Improved user experience.
- Designed and developed the website and app through which izi.travel will offer its own content in the entertainment system during flights for KLM users.